Filed under Features, Showcase

A Day For All Mothers

Dawn Hudson

Dawn Hudson

Ever since President Wilson signed a declaration marking Mother’s Day as a national holiday, many individuals showed their mothers some well-deserved appreciation. Taking place on the 14th of May this year, this day is dedicated to the hard-work and kindness of mothers.  

This holiday is not only constricted to the states, however. In Thailand, for example, Mother’s Day is always celebrated on the birthday of their current queen, Sirikit. Another variation of this holiday exists in Ethiopia, as families sing and eat large feasts during a multi-day mother-honoring celebration called Antrosht. No matter the location, the similarity that they all share is the countless mothers receiving love and adoration.

“It’s my weekend with my mom and I’m making a pop-out card with flowers and I’m buying her a bird that whistles after you put water in it,” says AVHS Freshmen Allison Johnsted as she describes her plans with her mom. As a matter of fact, 80% of consumers pick greeting cards as gifts, while 67.2% chose flowers.

While certain families might get inspiration from TV shows and movies, such as ‘Mother’s Day’, most develop traditions of their own that make it more personalized. “I haven’t planned anything yet because of prom,” says AVHS senior Cece Gultzow, “but every year we get her flowers and hide them around the house so she can find them. I don’t really know how that started, but it’s been a family tradition.”

Although not all traditions and cultures celebrate Mother’s Day, its core idea is spread worldwide. “I don’t celebrate Mother’s Day, but I understand its value in certain cultures. Personally, I try to remind my mother of how important she is to me each and every day,” says AVHS Freshmen Intisar Hagur.

Celebrations of motherhood can be traced back to the Greeks and Romans, as they held festivals known as “Mothering Sunday.” Not only is this holiday used to show gratitude, but also empowerment, as Coretta Scott King used this day to host a march on behalf of underprivileged women and children.

“Last year, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, and it was very scary because that was the closest I’ve ever gotten to losing my mom,” says Cece, “But seeing her strength going through chemo and radiation and how she came out of it, it just really left an impact on me to give whatever I have and live in the present.”

The core essence of this day cherishes the amazing strength of mothers. Their impact goes beyond bickering and nagging. The lasting imprints that result from their character and constant support are what gives individuals a stable foundation to grow. “I appreciate her, she’s always around me and when I need her she’s always there to help,” says Allison