Filed under Features

Is Beauty in the Eyes of the Beholder?

Models walk the runway at the Louis Vuitton Cruise Show at the Bob and Dolores Hope Estate on May 6, 2015, in Palm Springs, Calif.

Rich Fury/Invision/AP

When most people think of the “ideal body,” they think of models, ranging from fashion models to commercial models.  

A Chanel model has to meet the standards of height  5’9”- 6′, bust 32”-36”, waist 22″-26″, and hips 33″-35″.  These measurements are the averages used by major fashion companies, and they give us the perception that very few people in the world possess the “ideal body.” 

But this still causes some females to feel imperfect because of the standards set in magazines, movies, TV shows, and commercials. Magazines display unrealistic body types that are thin or muscular and can cause many people to be unhappy with their body type and want to modify it.

According to the Center of Media and Child Health, advertising is perhaps the most powerful medium that shows unrealistic body types. With advanced techniques for retouching photographs, models’ bodies are often “improved” by computers, giving viewers an unrealistic sense of what bodies look like naturally.

A music video that was created by Juliana Lyons and her father features girls as young as 5 years old looking in the mirror and not liking the acne, blotches, and other imperfections they see.

“I think there’s a lot of talk about teens and body image, and many parents become aware of that when kids hit puberty, but kids as young as five are already expressing a desire for a body that is thinner than their current self or future self,” said Seeta Pai, vice president of research for Common Sense Media

Drawing from the fact that girls are looking in the mirror for hours not liking their acne, weight, and other imperfections, some girls want to modify themselves to be like that one celebrity on the cover of the VOGUE issue that month. But in reality, some celebrities have haters that pick on their imperfections.

Celebrities from Demi Lovato to Gigi Hadid have dealt with rude comments that shamed their bodies for being too “skinny” or too “thick.” Demi Lovato didn’t hesitate to reply with a tweet responding to those haters.

Like your personality, your body is unique, no matter what people say. It’s important to understand that if you are happy with your body, then it doesn’t matter what people say or think.

Be positive. Be confident. Be you.