Filed under Features

The Benefits of Joining Speech

As a freshman, Kenan Anderson wanted to get more into politics, gaining more skills in both debate and the real world after high school. Joining speech has helped him achieve those goals.

“I have become more confident speaking in front of large group of people, and I’ve learned more about the world about me through my research in Extemporaneous Speaking,” said Anderson.

Speech is an extracurricular activity offered at AVHS. Joining speech could allow you to make new friends, get something  good on your college application, and gain a skill or two.

Speech in Minnesota contains 14 categories and they are split into two divisions: interp and public address. Each category has about six students and a coach or two. Being in a category is like a little group, and that group is like a family. Your friends and coach will help you throughout the speech season, which generally is about four months.

Since you are with them a few days a week, you will be able to be more confident. For example, Serena Abraham, a sophomore in Extemporaneous Speaking, said,“At Nat Quals I was really nervous. I was only a freshman, and I wasn’t the best. The confidence that came from my team, since we’re a family, helped me make it through the tournament.” 

Colleges also like seeing students being in an extracurricular activity like speech.  Junior Trinity Ek (who is a NSDA Semifinalist in Informative speaking and competes in Extemporaneous Speaking) said,  “Speech looks great on a college application because it shows that the student has participated in activity that requires a range of skills. Often times, speech requires research, writing, and public speaking skills.”

According to Forbes, about 80% of people are anxious of public speaking. Even competitors on the speech team feel this way. Junior Sydney Schliesing said, “ I get the the jitters when I’m nervous, but what people consider nervous I consider adrenaline. And the feeling that you get helps me get better, while it stops other people from performing.”

Speech gives students the ability to build not only on their public speaking skills, but many others as well. Abby Brachio, sophomore in Extemporaneous Speaking and Great Speeches, said, “Speech has made me a better person and I have learned skills through speech that I could not have gained elsewhere.”

So if you are thinking about joining an extracurricular activity next year, think about joining speech. You will have lots of fun and make new friends, have something good on your college application, and gain the skill of public speaking.