Filed under Sports

The New Valley Hoops

Tre Jones in game against Minneapolis North.

AVHS Athletics

The boys basketball Eagles are back on the court ready for another promising season, with a new-look roster and great aspirations.

Last year, the Eagles had an amazing record of 18-0 in the regular season. The team also breezed through sections playoffs, ultimately finishing third in state after losing to Hopkins in the state championship semifinals.

Last season was also a year of many goodbyes, as a total of eight players left the team. A big hole was left behind by the seven graduating seniors.

The only junior among those eight players was star Gary Trent, Jr., who has decided to spend his senior year at Prolific Prep, a California-based club program. Last season he lead the team with an average of 25 points per game in the regular season and 34 in the playoffs. He recently committed to Duke University, where Apple Valley alum and Minnesota Timberwolves guard Tyus Jones played in 2015.

“It will certainly be different now,” said head coach Zach Goring. “Gary was a big part of our team.”

This season, new faces have replaced the vacant spots. It’s now a roster filled with mainly juniors and only a few seniors.

“We need to shoot the ball really well and we need to be very aggressive defensively,” said Goring. “We don’t have a seven-footer as a center anymore.”

Apple Valley has also embodied a new blueprint, since the new players have brought different characteristics from last year’s team. The Eagles have had to adopt a faster game plan and utilize jump shots more than last year.

AVHS Athletics
Apple Valley boys basketball first practice.

In spite of the many changes, the Eagles seem to have kept their winning mentality, as shown in their opening game against Minneapolis North. They won 84-70, dominating in rebounds, assists and three-point shooting. Their excellent ball movement predominantly helped them win, but also displayed their tight chemistry.

One player in particular had an amazing performance: Tre Jones. The junior came out as a leader with an impressive triple-double of 29 points, 13 rebounds, and 11 assists. His five blocks and three steals also demonstrated his defensive work and truly exhibited his well-rounded qualities.

“Tre is going to be huge this season,” said Goring.

The Eagles now look forward to a very competitive conference with many teams that showcase future Division I players. Apple Valley’s next game will be an away game this Thursday against Minnetonka.

1 Comment

One Response to “The New Valley Hoops”

1. Tre Jones on December 8th, 2016 11:04 am

Great article!! I love it! well done.

[Reply]

• The New Valley Hoops

Sports

Eagles Fall Short Against the Tigers

• The New Valley Hoops

Sports

Girls Basketball Continues Hot Start to Season

• The New Valley Hoops

Sports

Eagle Sports Recap: Dec. 12 – 17

• The New Valley Hoops

Sports

Wrestling Drops Opener in Heartbreaker to Shakopee

• The New Valley Hoops

Sports

Exciting Year Ahead For Girls Basketball Team

• The New Valley Hoops

Sports

The History of Thanksgiving Football

• The New Valley Hoops

Sports

AV Girls Swim Team Makes a Splash at State

• The New Valley Hoops

Sports

Eagles Come Back Against the Raptors

• The New Valley Hoops

Sports

Girls Hockey Enjoys Great Win vs. Burnsville

• The New Valley Hoops

Sports

A Heartbreaker Ends the Eagles’ Season

The New Valley Hoops