Twitter In, Vine Out

Vine+Logo
Vine Logo

Vine Logo

Vine Logo

When the first announcements of Vine’s closing began circulating, most people thought it was a joke. Within hours, news spread that Vine had lost the social media platform war, and it became a revelation to all.

The executive leaders of Vine and Twitter have decided to shut down the beloved app sometime in the coming months. The reason for the abrupt decision surrounds the viewer rates and the declining popularity. Compared to trending social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagram, Vine was unable to keep up with the updating features of its competitors.

Some people are saddened by the sudden decision. Senior Amanda Jorgenson said, “I’m sad because I really like the funny videos. I’ll miss them so much.”

Senior Vince Herber agreed that Vine’s decision to shut down was sudden and disheartening. “I’m heartbroken. It was one of my stress relief methods,” he said, then mentioned the trending hashtag #bringVineBack.

Many others are mourning the loss of this revolutionary app. In a New York Times article, Vine’s closing was described as a loss of opportunity for the black community. Jay Versace is a famous viner, who had more than 3 million followers on Vine. He also runs a Youtube channel with over 270,000 subscribers and an Instagram with more than 1.6 million followers. “Versace’s Vines are a particular product of black culture — on the surface, they’re funny to anyone lucky enough to bear witness, but there’s a secondary layer that’s meant for black people, predicated on our shared culture, experiences and understandings.”

Some popular Viners are choosing to remain positive and move on. “To be honest, all of us are doing such bigger things now that none of us are super worried or anything,” 21-year-old Viner, Logan Paul, said in an interview with CNN. “I wish I could say we’re all crying, but no, we’re just hanging out.” Most of the Viners took the app’s decline as an opportunity to focus on their Youtube channels–some are even exploring other parts of the Hollywood culture, such as acting.

Although Vine’s chapter in social media has ended, the creators are attempting to create another app that combines Vine with other futuristic and progressive features. Hype, as the creators called it, is the new future.

Hype is a social media platform that allows users to share a variety of multimedia content into a live broadcast—for example, creating a video made out of footage on someone’s camera roll and footage shot from the camera feature in the app. It also allows others users to utilize that footage for their own creation and add other features to create another Hype video. An article in Tech Crunch deems this app a “visual smorgasbord that harks back the chaotic customization of an Old Skool MySpace page.”

To some, Vine was only an app that provided momentary entertainment, and to others, Vine was a creative outlet that produced many memes and trends. Although Vine is no more, former Viners and other users can explore other alternative social media platforms—whether that is Hype or Twitter—and good news: the list is never-ending!