Filed under Sports

Back and Better Than Ever

Players look on during the captains' practice.

Josie Segar

Josie Segar

Last year the Apple Valley boys hockey team ended with a record of 9-10-1, which is close to winning half of their games.  This year, they’ve set their sights even higher.

The men’s hockey team has set a high standard for this season and fans have a lot to look forward to. “As a staff, our main goal is that we are playing our best hockey at the end of the year and to make sure that our kids are focused on the process of achieving excellence,” said head coach Chris Sikich. He is very excited to lead the team starting next Monday at tryouts.

Players talk during a break in practice.

Josie Segar

Despite losing 10 seniors from last year’s squad, the Eagles have a lot of strong players this year with a lot of experience. “I think we will have a great year compared to last because we have lots of returning players,” said junior captain Parker Jamison.

In addition to the returning varsity players, the men’s hockey team has new players trying out for the team from Arizona, Missouri, and Michigan. Bryce Uebeland and Zach Canaan are two new players from Arizona.

The Eagles have been working hard in the off season in order to be competitors this year. Defender Nick Plagge said, “We practiced all summer, including lifting and captains’ practices since the start of school.”

The boys hockey team is ready to start their season off right. Jamison said, “Fans can expect a close and competitive game.” And his fellow teammate Ryan Gale echoed that: “Fans should expect to see a team that will battle to the finish; we may not be the most skilled, but we work hard.”

Ryan Gale, Parker Jamison and Nick Plagge agreed that Eastview and Eagan are their biggest rivals. Plagge said, “I’m excited to play Eagan because every time we play it’s a close and physical game.”

Junior Captain Parker Jamison

Josie Segar
Junior Captain Parker Jamison

Jamison agreed: “Eastview is a big rival; games versus them are always competitive and there are always a lot of fans.”

You can look forward to seeing Nick Plagge and Will Wright, who are the leading scorers, according to their teammate Max Arendt. Also, who steps up to be the starting goalie will be fun to watch. According to Sikich, “The one area that is an unknown right now is who is going to be our starting goalie; we have some good players who are going to be competing for the number one spot.”

When asked how AV men’s hockey team differs from other teams in the section, Sikich responded, “I’m not sure how we are different than other teams in the section right now, too early. That is something that we will worry about as the season plays itself out. We are going to focus on ourselves and improving each and every day.”

The boys hockey team opens their season November 25th at 5:00 pm at home against Park. This season will definitely be exciting for the Eagles and fans who attend!