Filed under Features

Snack Shack: The New School Store

Halima Badri

Halima Badri

Your stomach is growling. It’s after school again and you have nothing to eat. The gate to the cafeteria just closed, which means the vending machines aren’t in reach. At this point, you have no way of getting food. This situation is eerily familiar for students who spend time after school at AVHS. But worry not! There is now a solution to this problem: the Snack Shack!

The AVID program at AVHS opened up a new after-school store called the Snack Shack. Mrs.Kuhn, founder of the Snack Shack, explains it as “a refreshment stand that serves snacks to students after school on Wednesdays and Fridays outside of Room 103.” It features an array of treats, ranging from soft-baked cookies to gum to Oreos.

“It gives students a snack alternative that they will actually like,” says Nyla Reath, co-owner of the Snack Shack. “A lot of students stay after school, but a lot of students don’t like the healthy changes made in the vending machine. The Snack Shack allows students to have a sweeter treat after school.”

It’s more of a 7-11 gas station.”

— Nyla Reath

“We are going to just sell them [the snacks] at a better price for kids so it’s more of a 7-11 gas station. And it gives them an opportunity to get packs of gum, Doritos, chocolate, candy, or a quick fix of fruit snacks.” And that’s only a small list of the things sold at the Snack Shack. The Snack Shack also sells refreshing beverages such as Coke, Sprite, 7-Up, and many more.

A few of the snacks offered at the Snack Shack.

Halima Badri

Regarding the current snacks sold there, Mrs. Kuhn says there’s more on the way. “We hope to grow our supply based on more student feedback. Typically, [the cost of] things are $1 but we are looking at getting Starbucks Double Shots, Refreshers, and other items which would be more expensive.”

So where is all this money going? Mrs.Kuhn says, “The purpose is to raise money for the AVHS AVID program and to offer something other than what is in the vending machines. The funds of the Snack Shack go to offset the cost of field trips, materials, and PR materials for AVID (t shirts, bulletin board items).”

Aside from the many great qualities the Snack Shack has to offer there is one thing about it that can’t compare to any vending machine:  it’s student run!  Mrs.Kuhn says, “We feel competition with the vending machines, but our purpose is noble, personal (we have human arms serving you as oppose to a metal coil), and the items we buy are based on student feedback and demand.”

So the next time you feel hunger pangs kicking in, try the Snack Shack and have a sweet treat.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Snack Shack: The New School Store”

1. Jonallen on February 29th, 2016 7:06 pm

Glad to see that my old AVID Program is growing! Sad I left sophomore year, but still glad to see it growing! The AVID program is a great program!

2. Halima Badri on March 14th, 2016 7:17 pm

Thanks for the comment! AVID has definitely grown over the years!

• Snack Shack: The New School Store

Features

Apple Valley Reacts to Stoneman Douglas

• Snack Shack: The New School Store

Features

Net Neutrality: The Fights for Its Return

• Snack Shack: The New School Store

Features

Net Neutrality: Its History and Impact

• Snack Shack: The New School Store

Features

Giving Talent Away: The Answer to Fulfillment

• Snack Shack: The New School Store

Features

8 Tips for Black Friday Shopping

• Snack Shack: The New School Store

Features

Remembering Our Veterans

• Snack Shack: The New School Store

Features

The MinneApple: A Not-So-Mini Weekend

• Snack Shack: The New School Store

Arts & Entertainment

Homecoming 2017: Red Carpets and Paper Bag Coat Checks

• Snack Shack: The New School Store

Features

A Day For All Mothers

• Snack Shack: The New School Store

Features

EaglEye on the Prize

Snack Shack: The New School Store